A Character Education Visual Art Kit
By Kathleen Thompson and Rachel Ross
This unit teaches students ways of learning how to be observant of the natural world, show respect for the natural environment, adopt an ecological attitude, and be aware that, as responsible citizens, we need to designate and protect land as wilderness and preserve our natural heritage.
Each art reproduction featured in this set engages students’ interests and reinforces a character trait they can relate to their lives. Each activity presented has been field-tested. The Teacher’s Guide is presented in a K-9 format, but equally applicable in school systems with K-12 formats. Ready-to-use activities for each art reproduction include:
- Historical information about the artist and the artwork;
- Discussion topic for each lesson;
- Guided Looking using an easy 4-step process of art critique known as the Feldman Model;
- Activity related to Character Education;
- Detailed studio art projects;
- Resources for the teacher and students.
The kit includes:
- 5 Fine Art Reproductions 18″ x 22 3/4″ (45.8 cm x 56.5 cm);
- A Teacher’s Guide;
- A plastic storage porfolio.
List of reproductions you will find in your Respect for the Natural Environment kit:
Bierstadt, Albert, Merced River, Yosemite Valley
O’Keeffe, Georgia, Black Iris
Hokusai, Katsushika, Yoshitsune Horse-Washing…
Van Gogh, Vincent, The Starry Night
Monet, Claude, La pie