A Character Education Visual Art Kit
By Kathleen Thompson and Rachel Ross
This unit helps students gain understanding of how cultural traditions, communal activities, celebrations, festivals and religious events in their neighborhood or at home, all help to define and strengthen communities and encourage social responsibility.
Each art reproduction featured in this set engages students’ interests and reinforces a character trait they can relate to their lives. Each activity presented has been field-tested. The Teacher’s Guide is presented in a K-9 format, but equally applicable in school systems with K-12 formats. Ready-to-use activities for each art reproduction include:
- Historical information about the artist and the artwork;
- Discussion topic for each lesson;
- Guided Looking using an easy 4-step process of art critique known as the Feldman Model;
- Activity related to Character Education;
- Detailed studio art projects;
- Resources for the teacher and students.
The kit includes:
- 5 Fine Art Reproductions 18″ x 22 3/4″ (45.8 cm x 56.5 cm);
- A Teacher’s Guide;
- A plastic storage porfolio.
List of reproductions you will find in your Community, Service Learning kit:
Beaver, Fred, Seminoles Preparing Food
Bolduc, Blanche, Cornhusking
Tsireh, Awa, Green Corn Ceremony
Prendergast, Maurice, Festival, Venice
Seurat, Georges, Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte