A Character Education Visual Art Kit
By Kathleen Thompson and Rachel Ross
This unit helps students realize that heroes are ordinary people with special endowments, that heroic choices are based on convictions and not on ambitions, and that the choices and decisions we make affect other people’s lives as well as our own.
Each art reproduction featured in this set engages students’ interests and reinforces a character trait they can relate to their lives. Each activity presented has been field-tested. The Teacher’s Guide is presented in a K-9 format, but equally applicable in school systems with K-12 formats. Ready-to-use activities for each art reproduction include:
- Historical information about the artist and the artwork;
- Discussion topic for each lesson;
- Guided Looking using an easy 4-step process of art critique known as the Feldman Model;
- Activity related to Character Education;
- Detailed studio art projects;
- Resources for the teacher and students.
The kit includes:
- 5 Fine Art Reproductions 18″ x 22 3/4″ (45.8 cm x 56.5 cm);
- A Teacher’s Guide;
- A plastic storage porfolio.
List of reproductions you will find in your Heroes, Virtue in Action kit:
Curry, John Steuart, The Oklahoma Land Rush
Lippi, Filippino, The Triumph of Mordecai
Little Chief, Sun Dance Encampment
Shahn, Ben, Liberation
Raphael (Raffaello Sanzio), School of Athens