By Joanne K. Guilfoil
Places and Spaces focuses on environmental design in art and in the community. Students will learn about environmental design in art as subject matter for artists and environmental design as an art form related to careers and professions. Each lesson in the set begins with a discussion of an art reproduction illustrating the environmental design, art concepts, and the theme. The students learn to view such things as architecture, urban and regional planning, interior design and landscape architecture as artistic endeavors.
The 3-5 set introduces students to new art vocabulary and concepts in the world of art and environmental design. Terms explored are presented in greater detail: circular lines and shapes, converging lines, symmetrical shapes, rhythm and unity, proportion, composition and perspective, all of which set the stage to better understanding of the artistic process and to creative work by students.
The set includes:
- 15 Art prints (5 per grade), selected from the Art Image collection, introduce and extend the major aspects of the design themes at each grade level;
- A Teacher’s Guide offering 15 student-tested model lessons (5 per grade), keyed to the themes and prints accompanying the guide;
- 15 laminated color photos (5 per grade) 8″ x 10″ (20.3 cm x 25.4 cm) of actual architectural and landscape details complement the model lessons and provide students with additional insight into the built environment.
Teacher’s Guide offers you:
- 5 themes for each grade and a model lesson for each. Lessons are designed for 45 minutes or more of class time;
- Clear objectives for every lesson;
- One black-and-white photo of the featured place or object to illustrate the theme of each lesson;
- Examples of students’ artwork to show possible results;
- Extension activities for further exploration of concepts;
- Artists’ biographies, Glossary, Visual Dictionary;
- Children’s Literature, Teacher’s Resources;
- National Visual Art Standards and Assessment guidelines.
List of reproductions you will find in your Places and Spaces 3-5 set:
Lippi, Filippino, The Triumph of Mordecai
Vermeer, Jan, Maler im Atelier
Raphael (Raffaello Sanzio), School of Athens
Dumas, Antoine, Les pistards (The Racers)
Surrey, Philip, Boulevard in the Rain